Some Dos & Don’ts Of Plumbing
• Never run cold water in full pressure when using your disposer. It coagulates the food particles, creating a clog. Running cold water gently helps to clean the drain and troublesome build-ups.
• Never pour hot water in the toilet, the bowl can crack.
• Coffee grains should never be poured in sink drain. These tend to clump together forming a bottleneck in the pipes. Always keep a trash can handy under your kitchen-sink or in the toilet to throw the disposables such as onionskin, celery and corn husks, coffee grounds, meat bones and so on and so forth. Never throw disposable diapers in the toilet. Do not allow children to play in the bathrooms. They may throw small toys in the toilet.
• Never use the toilet tank lid as a shelf. Things may fall from it into the bowl. Similarly it is better not to have shelf just above the, toilet, kitchen sink or other basins in the house. Moreover, if heavy objects fall on the china bowl it can crack.
• Sometimes the pressure of water at the kitchen faucet is very slow. You can take out the aerator and clean it by keeping it soaked in vinegar & water solution and scrubbing it thereafter.
• Plunge your bathroom sink or bath tub by using a use a cloth. Plug up the overflow and hold tight. After plunging also clean your bathtub, kitchen and bathroom sink. Put on the stopper and fil up the bowl till it overflows. Spray from disinfectant Clean the bowl with a spring type brush and open the stopper to let the water flow out.
• Sometimes the bath tub drains very slowly. In such situations you can remove the bolts, pull wire, and lift the lever out. Now clean the hair from wire and restore everything.
• Check your toilets for leaks. If the toilet is leaking at the base, then the symptoms will be explicit. There will be pool of water on the floor. Call a plumber to tighten the toilet tee bolts or replace the wax ring to fix the problem.
• The toilet tans also needs to be cleaned. You can do it by turning off the water and flushing toilet once to empty the tank. Add some cleaning detergent inside the tank and clean it with a cloth or brush.
• Pour boiling water down tub and shower drains. It is very useful to prevent build-ups from soap, grease, and hair.
• Always shut off your water supply to your home, if you are going out on vacation.
It will be impossible to list up all the plumbing dos and don’ts. One webpage will not be enough for them. But the measures listed above will be useful in rendering good health to your plumbing system.